So, it’s been a month since he let me go… and has it been a long month.
What have I done since Minuteman?
– Concluded my participation in the Cambridge Science Festival
– Traveled to the Cape to see my artwork that was apart of the Appearances ’14 EcoArts Festival.
– Had two interviews for entry-level graphic design positions in the surrounding area
– Began making more kirlian photograms again in my basement studio
– Composed more music
– Began the third leg of my Infinite Earth tour at the Access Gallery in Denver, CO
– Began preparation for my solo show at Groundings, LLC
I’ve been doing OK. Just taking each day as it comes. I create because it helps me deal with loss as I create something from nothing. While I may not have been treated right at Minuteman I was put in a position doing what I loved in a professional environment and was getting paid for it… and so naturally I’ve been feeling sad because I am not in that position anymore. My artwork is what gives me my confidence as an individual and if you undermine my artwork you undermine me as an individual.
While that chapter in my life has ended, I left the door open for my supervisor to establish a connection to me. Because he was just one of those people who did a whole lot for me even if he didn’t intend to. The partnership we did have while I worked for him helped heal me from a past relationship and I couldn’t be more grateful. I just hope that he will establish something so I don’t have to go through loss all over again.
My former boss at the Tearoom did something to me when I designed something for him and he realized what my strength/weakness was. He told me that what I designed for him wasn’t very good and while I didn’t understand what he was doing at the time by telling me that (it wasn’t true because when we concluded the project he told me that it was good), he was trying to prepare me for what was to come (meaning my experience at Minuteman). He was able to figure out what my weakness and strengths were and for that I am grateful. Sometimes I don’t see things about myself and now when I’m feeling low, I create something – because damnit, look where my artwork has taken me, how can you not feel good if you’ve been through that!?