I didn’t used to have many pet peeves, but as I’ve gotten older, there are a few things that I will no longer tolerate and if you can’t respect me and these intolerances please unfriend me now… excuse me, but I’ve been in a bad mood lately and I am PISSED tonight and need to get this off my chest.
1) Using a period of time worth of experience to make your point valuable and the right one in an argument… I.E: having over 10 years of experience in a field, so you know everything.
NO. NO NO NO. This attitude pisses me off more than anything in the world. YES, experience in crucial to knowledge and delivering a good product or advice, but you can be in a field for 10 years and still know jack shit… it’s all what you absorb and translate into your work and projects. If you have nothing to show, I can’t say that I can trust your experiences in the field.
2) This goes with the above: telling me that you know someone or your son or daughter has been in the field for 10 + years and therefore you know everything about the field.
NO. NO NO NO. You don’t. That’s equivalent of me saying that I know everything about engineering because there’s a couple of engineers in my family. NO.
3) Telling me to not do my job.
After being schooled in my field for over 4 years, self-taught for over 4 years, and worked in the field since 2010, I have a pretty good handle on what goes on in my field. I don’t know everything, yes, but I am open to new experiences
4) Pretending you’re an expert in my field, when clearly you have no idea.
Making art, creating a design, takes time, takes skill, takes dedication. If you hire me to make you something don’t act like you know my field, PLEASE just don’t.
5) Acting like a ‘know it all’ in my field
NO. This ties in with the first one… I don’t care if you’ve been in the field for years, or in over 70 exhibitions or whatever. You DON’T know everything and you WILL never know everything. If you have this attitude about your work, I cannot work with you. You are not open to suggestions and never will. There are SEVERAL different solutions to everything. YOURS aren’t the only one.